So, now the hangovers have abated, what will 2012 bring?
I'll start with a broker I thoroughly respect, Marcus Padley (writes for Fairfax etc), who appears who made some predictions whilst having a few beers pre-Christmas.
Headlines you may see in 2012
- ANZ raises interest rates 100bp at monthly monetary policy meeting. Declares interest rate settings “appropriate for our shareholders” and “profit margins within target band”
- RBA closed. Glenn Stevens joins Macquarie
- Westfield charges Retailers $10,000 per square megabyte on New Westfield Virtualand website
- Gerry Harvey declares the internet a ‘fad’
- Mercedes Benz prices jump 218% on euro break up. German exports fall 98% Greek Drachma jumps 14% to 0.0002374 Deutschmarks as faceless EU plant retires from post as Greek Prime Minister aged 45 on seven eighths of his final two years salary plus benefits
- German taxi driver earns 10 times as much as new Greek PM
- Rogue Trader at Goldman Sachs makes $US100bn profit shorting euro. Joins Cramer’s White House Administration as US Treasury Secretary
- Berlusconi releases second Love Song CD “Don’t cry for me Angela Merkel, you know the truth is, I never loved you. All through my wild days, my mad existence, I knew the euro, wouldn’t go the distance”